Sunday, November 10, 2013

Doubt and Doubts . . .

Today my long-time friend Leigh sent me a link to an article by Kyle Cupp, writing in Patheos. Leigh thought it was worth sharing; it is . . . 
Kyle writes honestly and clearly about doubt – click the word “article” to read it . . . I read the article, it got me re-ruminating through my past thoughts and presently growing valuing of “the blessings of doubt” . . .
I’ve been thinking about doubt and doubts for decades, so here goes me (and Jesus’) thinking on doubt. 

Firstly, three opening sentences . . .
Doubt and doubts are Divine gifts resonating within our humanity. Without which we can never continue faith journey’s “traverses.” Doubt’s ruminations serve to focus faith development’s specifics.
For example when I’m reading the “commonly conflated gospel story,” doubt in the narrative of the post-resurrection Jesus resonates differently than it does in the pre-Easter story. In post-Easter faith doubt mingles well as Jesus calls His disciples to resolution, revelation, reorientation and faith. 

Consider these two instances;
Luke’s recounting Jesus in a “locked room” . . .
  • They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost. He said to them, "Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have." Luke 24:37-39
Matthew setting the “great commission” . . .
  • Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me . . .” Matthew 28:16ff
Jesus reads the “locked-down disciples” doubts, gives them steps to take in a new journey of faith; to the disciples at the mount who bought their doubts to worship and worshipped, Jesus commanded, comforted , and commissioned to reach others as they continued in their own faith-journey. Since Jesus clearly understands disciple-doubts are normal, His encouragement is; don’t deny them, process them.                 
Believers have doubts; without doubt there is no journey to belief.
BTW (by the way) understand clearly, doubt is not a synonym for unbelief . . .
  • Doubt says “I know there are answers, so I keep journeying hesitatingly” while unbelief contends; “I now know an answer, I see its implications, and yes, I’m not about to embrace its journey.”
Examined doubt leads toward resolution, revelation, reorientation and faith . . . By all means have doubts, just don’t keep them in the dark; press and process them toward resolution . . .
  • Unbelief is an enemy of your faith, unresolved it leads to dissolution . . . or, faithless faith (now there’s an oxymoron!!!)