Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Understanding, clarity, and getting on with life . . .

Advice (aka direction) given me in the first year as an apprentice typographer . . .

“Johnny, you won’t learn anything by standing still. Get going and it will come to you.”

My then response; “Yeah right!”

You’ve guessed it; I’ve been ruminating on some possible connections; connections between building understanding, gaining clarity, and getting on with life, living, work, and all the great stuff of life’s journey.

Here’s my current summary . . .
  • Understanding is ongoing
  •  Clarity is progressive
  •  Clarity is not always in the mind, it’s more likely to be in the journey
So to; “Johnny, you won’t learn anything by standing still. Get going and it will come to you . . .”

My now response; “Yeah that’s right!”

So far I have learned something, but I haven’t learned much by standing still, as I’ve gotten going; building understanding and gaining clarity continues to come in the journey . . .





2 comments:

Leigh Harrison said...

This is a great insight.

If it doesn't over-extend the analogy, I sometimes think the amount we learn depends on whether on our journey we're driven or driving.

If we're driving we can stop and consider, admire the view. If we're driven we may look at a lot of new things, but we don't see as many.

Johnny Cee Dee said...

Thanks Leigh - now I'm "chewing on more!"