Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Self-rejoicing; lifelong habit that outlasts life


Just finished Easter as triumphant celebration, my annual celebration that death is again overcome through resurrection, but death still happens.

Death is inevitable. I’ve seen it. I will experience it. I just won’t engage in retrospective reflection on the experience

Been reading and ruminating with my old friend Thomas A’ Kempis again, who reminds me that the fear of death or planning its avoidance is futile. For this reason I should strive now to live in a way that the hour of my death will be characterised by rejoicing, not by others, but by me; self-rejoicing.

Self-rejoicing is a one of the few “life habits” which will certainly transcend death.

“Celebrate God all day, every day. I mean, revel in him! Make it as clear as you can to all you meet that you're on their side, working with them and not against them. Help them see that the Master is about to arrive. He could show up any minute! Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns.” Philippians 4:4-6 (Message Bible)

No comments: