Saturday, July 3, 2010

I’m not nosey – I’m learning to listen


Recently, or yet again – when after a period of listening to a person sharing with me on a matter says; “now to be truly honest with you …” and continues talking … don’t know about you, but my mind reels a bit when hearing this “all-too-common-conversational-conjunction” …

Yet, while I may wonder . . . “Have they not been honest/truthful up to this point in our conversation?”

My “take” is, they are moving to deeper levels of honest-openness, transparency and possible vulnerability – they’re not shifting from lies to truth … as not only are they speaking to me in a fuller-form, they are also speaking to themselves (in my presence) with greater self-integrity

I'm hearing words and heart . . .

I’ve been chewing over the following “terms” in considering what I and others may be doing in our communication and interactions with others . . .

Honesty is telling others the truth

Integrity is telling myself the truth

In Transparency – I tell you about my life

Through Vulnerability – I let you into my life

No comments: