Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Doing what’s always done isn’t always all bad

Taking a guess here . . . I’m guessing, that like me you’ve more-than-once heard the common “alleged” wisdom-saying . . . 
  • “If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got”
Such wisdom commonly assumes two things . . .
  • What I’m already doing isn’t what I now require
  • Changes only come when I change my methods or life activities
My Christian pilgrimage, a fifty-eight year journey so far (by the way - I’m older than the journey) contains an “always-done-that element” . . . a daily spiritual discipline.
I’m referring to the generalized evangelical discipleship practice of observing a daily routine of bible reading, prayer, reflection/meditation which may include the spiritual discipline of journaling; the bible reading element is frequently supported by published “reading support notes.” The common expectation is the timing of one’s daily devotions will be observed in the morning, often before breakfast, employment, or other larger responsibilities. This practice is also referred to as, “daily devotions” or “quiet time.”
I’m chewing over the thought how life’s a whole lot more than just doing things; it’s also remembering why the things I’m doing are being done. So I’m not just asking “what am I doing?”  I’m asking myself – “why am I doing this?”
Now, in thinking about my daily spiritual discipline  . . .
“Always doing what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got” – equals, time and opportunity for refreshing the journey with Jesus  . . .
“Now why should I change that?”
Renew YES – change NO!

3 comments:

Sam Hey said...

I always love your wise insights John

Anonymous said...

You're right John, It's always good to remember that life is not succession of snapshots repeating daily until we do something different, but a journey in which each day brings us further towards our goal. Of course if you don't have that goal then it probably feels like it. And if you are off track, then repeating the previous days steps will get you the 'same result'. Which just goes to prove you need to know where you are going.

peter.tararu said...

Peter Eynon in response to the saying 'doing what's always done....isn't always bad, I confess it took me more than 60 years of living to realise that 'doing what's always done' could also be a living wisdom, ie something good and apart from description by language. Just as the beat of the heart is a 'doing what its always thing' for the physical life, yet necessary for life continuing, so liturgy and prayer not changing can be in the spirit.

(PS. As an INTP is have always seen and been excited by seeing the new, and explore the yet unknown ( as long as it is in English!). So the doing the same can be growing in spirit)