Friday, August 15, 2014

Past ponderings, can still be a present voice . . . (#1)

Join me in pondering . . . as I think along about thinking, and crystallise some thoughts . . .
While “ponder” rhymes with “wander”, they are antonyms.  They are opposites. My mind and heart’s thought can consider and reflect; they can also wander and dissipate. As I read, I can easily wander or ponder. Though, ponder I should.
Taking some time to read the scriptures and pondering in the reading process is long-time habit with me. So, what is pondering? Ruminate by another name? Well, yes; and more.  
We ponder when we think about (something) carefully, especially before making a decision or reaching a conclusion. Essentially, to ponder means; “to weigh in the mind, reflect, and consider with thoroughness and care.”
Some time back along with lots of other folk at our church, I spent 40 days with Jesus.” Over that time, we engaged in daily readings of the life of Jesus. We read the text and daily note commentary, prayed a focused prayer, and pondered on what the “sound of the reading was voicing to us.” I then wrote what was the heart of my daily “hearings.”
Now, a couple of years hence, I’m still hearing—here’s the first of three posts considering some of my “ongoing ponderings” .  .  .
  • All resources are God’s; He is the owner, we are His stewards.
  • Jesus knows what He is doing when He asks me to act. My obedience does not “inform the divine.”
  • While Jesus favours neither rich nor poor, take note, He is “clearly focused on the commonly ignored.” With Jesus, those on society’s margins are not to be marginalised.
  • No matter how high the cost goes (or seems to go) for me, it will never reach the level Jesus paid in enabling me to become His follower.
  • Accountability is the measurement of effectively pursuing one’s entrusted responsibilities.
  • “Being lost and knowing it, is the first step towards the experience of being found.”
  • Miracles are signs of God’s “reaching out”—not His “showing off.”

1 comment:

Derek said...

More provocative thinking here John - I appreciate and enjoy our summaries. This morning I was reflecting on Ephesians 1 for my daily reading - it provided a surprisingly refreshing reminder of the work of Christ in the world and in my life personally. The challenge in my study was "Is my conception of Christ big enough?'
Pertinent question in light of your summary of key points in this post. ;-)