Sunday, January 24, 2016

Monday’s gift, a Psalm 23 mindset . . .

It’s not merely morning; it’s Monday morning.  

After breakfast spent some time reading/reflecting with a pen in hand on Psalm 23—thought, “post this on yon blog” . . .

Hey, while it doesn’t read as in King James’ English, it still rhymes thinking. Rhymes are for ruminating. This morning I ruminated the "ancient shepherd rhyme" from “The Message Bible” translation’s paraphrase, and also “wrote-it-up-a-bit” myself . . .  

God, my shepherd! Looking at you, I yet again remind myself “I don’t need a thing.”

I’m not reminding you, I’m reminding me . . .

You have bedded me down in lush meadows; you find me quiet pools to drink from.

True to your word, you let me catch my breath send me in the right direction.

Even when the way goes through Death Valley, I’m not afraid when you walk at my side.

Your trusty shepherd’s crook makes me feel secure.

You serve me a six-course dinner right in front of my enemies.

You revive my drooping head; my cup brims with blessing.

Your beauty and love chase after me every day of my life.

I’m back home in the house of God for the rest of my life.**

So God, thanks for two of your gifts . . .  

The “gift of Monday, and the “gift of my work

. . . help me to be "minded" to give through what You have given 


**Psalm 23 as an amalgam of the Message Bible and the DPV

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your words of the authentic experience of Psalms 23 reminds me what the psalms were created for. That God understands the human experience from all angles. I ponder in my own reflection of God's provision and desire to love me in that interaction are constant. If I allow it. Sometimes I don't or won't. Thank you John for the inspiration.