Thursday, October 20, 2011

Don’t get off your bike . . .

When I was a youth (aka ‘kid’) … yes, I was not born this age – there was a common saying amongst us kids when one of the gang “lost-their-cool” . . . it came from the centre of our youthful mobility means; bicycle riding.

A simple adage was aimed at the kid “mouthing-off”. . .

 “Hey man, don’t get off your bike; I’ll pick up your pump!”

Today I’ve been doing some research-reading in the Petrine writings (cool academicese for the apostle Peter wrote this stuff) – anyway I read this;

“When Peter in his second epistle speaks positively: ‘But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ,’ Remember both he (in 1:3-11) and Jude (1:20) have already stressed the necessity for progress in Christian living.”

Then the commentator added . . .

"The Christian life ... is like riding a bicycle. Unless you keep moving, you fall off!"

Happy pedaling!!

3 comments:

Mr Chourd said...

I'm a little older - born in the middle of the 30's, but yours is the only reference in Google about "don't get off your bike....." I live on the "BIG" island just to the west of the Kiwis, who are great mates of ours, except when rugby or cricket are mentioned. No doubt we'll cop a lot of clout for our cricketers being all out for 47 yesterday

Anonymous said...

When I was somewhat younger my mate's father used to use the phrase "Dont get off your bicycle, I'll pick up your pump", which I took to mean "Don't become agitated, I am prepared to be conciliatory". We were all cyclists (and motorcycle riders) so the saying seemed appropriate.

Anonymous said...

p.s. I also live in Australia (born in 1951).

Sayings and terms are often localised. I live in a valley, and the slang term for a catapault on one side of the valley is totally different for the term on the other side, maybe a mile away.